Founded in 1957, Princes Court is Mildura’s oldest provider of residential aged care and support.
In its early years, the organisation offered secure accommodation and on-site support for 19 elderly citizens who were unable to live in their own homes. Several residential and administration buildings were erected on land purchased from the old Mildura Base Hospital.
In 1990, at the suggestion of a resident, the organisation changed its name from Mildura Homes for the Aged to Princes Court Homes.
An appointed board of management ran the homes as an affiliate of the old hospital until it was privatised in 1992. Princes Court then became an independent, not for profit, community owned organisation.
In 1993, it became the first facility in the region to offer specialised dementia care. Then in 1999, the organisation adopted the philosophy of ageing in place, where a combination of high and low-care streams provides a continuum of care for residents.
In 2006, Princes Court began building a retirement village for older members of the community who are able to live independently. Princes Court Village, which was completed in 2010, consists of 55 two and three-bedroom units.
The organisation also continued to develop it facilities and care options at Princes Court Homes. Today, it is home to 98 permanent and two respite residents who are supported by more than 100 staff.